You can help me balance my plane flight if you want! This doesn't have to cost you money, in fact you could save money by, for example, walking or biking to work instead of taking the car. I looked into fund-raising to go towards a carbon offset but decided in the end to do this instead. Planes use up carbon more or less straight away, whilst some offsetting projects take a long time to balance the carbon, so we can just do what we can.
All you have to do is perform an activity that you don't normally do that helps balance the carbon from my trip, and then write to me at email@example.com telling me what you have done! All "donations" will be written down below. I'm adding a few bits to start us off:
- I've helped to plant trees at Heaton Park Tree Party (Downy Birch, Alder, one Bird Cherry)
- I've helped to plant bulbs at Heaton Park Tree Party
- I've made Autodesk donate the cost of planting a tree to Trees for the Future
- I've bought 15 trees via the SOS shop's Restore the Rainforest Gift Pack
- Thank you donation to SOS was used on planting approximately 10 trees, to help restore orangutan habitat
- Thank you donation to BOS was used on rambutans for orangutans!
- My lovely forum friends and other buddies below participated in the Earth Hour Lights Out event to the best of their ability!
I already recycle lots and am careful about turning off lights and such, but since they are regular things I already do, they are not going on my list. Have a play on the WWF Footprint Calculator for ideas, then tell me what things you've started or stopped for my trip - try to make your offsetting "donations" become a good, permanent habit!